Apprenticeship is learning a trade through mentorship. A sponsor trains and mentors an apprentice by sharing their wisdom from years of experience in the industry.
Training through apprenticeship benefits companies raises your company skillset, benefiting both your company and the Landscape Industry. It enables your business to provide clients with an experienced, educated crew. The apprenticeship also significantly increases employee retention and performance by providing career incentive.
Employers that sponsor Red Seal Landscape Horticulturist apprentices receive up to $9500 in tax credits for the company income tax return. Employers of First Nations individuals and persons with disabilities are eligible for the “enhanced tax credit”, which provides up to an additional $3,750 over the apprenticeship.
Red Seal Landscape Horticulturist Sponsor Tax Credits
|Sponsor Tax Credit||Completion Requirements||Amount||Enhanced Tax credit*|
|Apprenticeship Job Creation Tax Credit||Level 1||10% of eligible salaries/wages up to $2000||5.5% of eligible salary and wages paid up to an additional $1000 the first 24 months of the program|
|Apprenticeship Job Creation Tax Credit||Level 2||10% of eligible salaries/wages up to $2000|
|Completion Tax Credit||Level 3||15% of eligible salaries/wages up to $2500||50% of completion tax credit for level 3 up to an additional $1250|
|Completion Tax Credit||CofQ (Level 4, 6480 hours & RFC signed)||15% of eligible salaries/wages up to $3000||50% of completion tax credit for level 4 up to an additional $1500|
Apprentices also benefit from up to $8,500 tax credits and grants for completion milestones and additional enhanced tax credits for First Nations individuals and persons with disabilities.
Apprenticeship consists of approximately 80% on-the-job training with an employer sponsor who is a skilled Landscape Horticulturist professional. Technical Training in school accounts for the remaining 20%. The apprentice is typically in school for 6 week increments per level; the remainder is working on the job under a mentor’s (Sponsor’s) supervision. Typically one level is completed a year. Most apprentices qualify for EI while they are in school.
Apprentices require a sponsor to register for Technical Training, receive credit for their work hours, and obtain a recommendation for certification.
To view the apprentice training tasks, view the Red Seal Landscape Horticulturist record book. The Trade was developed in consultation with employers to provide a realistic and comprehensive training experience that benefits employers’ training needs and service standards.
View our Employer/Sponsor page for information on becoming a sponsor and claiming tax credits.
Download a Landscape Horticulturist Apprenticeship (HL) 2018 handout to share with employees