What’s Red Seal all about?

The Interprovincial Standards Red Seal Program (also known as the Red Seal Program) was established in 1959 to provide greater mobility across Canada for skilled workers. Today it represents a standard of excellence for industry. Take a look at the Red Seal website to learn more…

Click here for the Trade National Occupational Analysis (NOA)

Click here for an update on Red Seal for Landscape Horticulture.

ITA Youth Newsletter

The Industry Training Authority publishes a regular newsletter

For the latest issue, Visit the ITA Youth newsletters webpage

The Spring 2008 issue is all about careers in the “green” industry! Download your copy now










Does HEBC do work placement? does help apprentices and employers to connect with one another with job listing and job application through the website. Please view our Job Listings page to view and apply for jobs or to post a job. If you do not see a job in your area or would like further help, you can also contact us

Other sites you can look for job postings for work in the horticulture industry are:

What is an Organization ID # and ITA Individual ID #?

An Organization ID number is your Sponsor ID number, and an ITA Individual ID number is the Individual ID number assigned to you by the ITA when you applied for Supervision and Sign-Off Authority or gained your Certificate of Qualification.

For more information click here on becoming a sponsor and applying for Sign-Off Authority or to Challenge the exam.

Do I have to register at a training school?

Yes, you do. Click here for a list of training institutions.  For detailed information on the entire registration process go to the ‘Apprentice Info’ page, then choose the appropriate program.

What is Red Seal?

“The Red Seal program represents industry’s recognition of an Interprovincial standard of excellence for the skilled trades. Through the program, apprentices who have completed their training and become certified journeypersons are able to obtain a Red Seal endorsement on their provincial or territorial Certificates of Qualification and Apprenticeship by successfully completing an Interprovincial Red Seal examination.”

Click here for more information on the Red Seal program.

The Red Seal Landscape Horticulturalist Certification is currently being Harmonized nationally Follow our news or Facebook page for updates on the status of Harmonization for the Red Seal for Landscape Horticulture. Harmonization for Landscape Horticulture will be implemented September 2018.

How many hours do I need to write the Challenge Exam?

You need 9,720 of proven work based hours. Click here for detailed information on the Challenge Exam process for Landscape and Production Horticulturist. 2,400 of proven work based hours is required to challenge the Arborist Technician exam.

Do I need a sponsor?

Yes, you need a sponsor. Your sponsor will mentor you and sign off on all your documentation. They need to either be a Certified Tradesperson or have Sign-Off Authority. HEBC can be your sponsor if needed for your first year of education. For detailed information on how to register for your chosen Apprenticeship program, visit the ‘Apprentice Info’ page, then chose the appropriate program.

How do I register for Apprenticeship?

For detailed information on how to register for your chosen Apprenticeship program, visit the ‘Apprentice Info’ page, then chose the appropriate program.

Should I be working in the industry before applying for the apprenticeship program?

Yes, we highly recommend that you try out the industry before committing to a program. This way you will know what is expected of you and what a day as a landscape horticulturist, a production worker, or an arborist really looks like. Be sure that this is the best career path for you.